Welcome to Year 2
Our website page will be updated every week with home learning tasks!
If you need anything during this time of home learning, please contact your child's class teacher on their school email address.
Miss Smith email@example.com
Miss Turner- firstname.lastname@example.org
Weekly Stay at Home Stars!
Each week, we will be choosing a Greenwood Stay at Home Star from class...
Our Starfish Stay at Home Star this week is... Jack Parker! Well done Jack! Click here for your Stars certificate.
Our Sharks Stay at Home Star this week is... Chloe Daniel! Well done Chloe! Click here for your Stars certificate.
Home Learning for Year 2
Our home learning will be set weekly using the timetable below.
Each day there will be reading activities, writing, maths and an additional curriculum challenge.
Please complete as much as possible...something is better than nothing at all!
However, do not got overwhelmed with the work that is provided...your parents are doing an amazing job :)
If you need support or have questions, please contact your child's class teacher...we are always available to help.
Happy Monday Year 2!
Week beginning Monday 18th May
WELL DONE to all of the children that are continuously completing our online learning...you are ALL SUPERSTARS!
Miss Smith and Miss Turner are really enjoying seeing all of your work everyday...THANK YOU!
This week our learning focus is...ART!
Our key question is... How can we use our environment to create art?
Keep checking Purple Mash for your daily to dos and complete your activities from your weekly timetable. We would love to see photos emailed by your grown ups of all the exciting things that you're doing.
Have a fantastic week everyone,
Miss Smith and Miss Turner xx
- Weekly maths challenges
- Wednesday English Work- Spring scene
- Thursday and Friday English Work-Spring acrostic poem
If you read pink, red, yellow, blue, green, orange or turquoise books...click on the link below to find some online Big Cat books for you to read to your grown ups or listen to :)
We are really lucky to have some phonics lessons available to us online provided by the Department of Education.
Click the link below that takes you to these lessons.
These lessons are all at different levels too and are great for children that have additional phonics in Year 2 at school :)
You will notice that these links for lessons say 'reception and year 1'- this is when these sounds/tricky words are meant to be taught in school.
Let us know any feedback from the lesson
Let's have a fantastic half term in Year 2.
Our Amazing Year 2 Team!
Miss Smith - Class Teacher in Starfish, Maths Lead, Key Stage One Lead, SLE (Specialist teacher in Education)
Miss Turner- Class Teacher In Sharks, PE Lead
We are lucky enough to have 2 marvellous teaching assistants that work closely with your children's teachers.
These are Miss Bonser in Starfish and Mrs Dabell in Sharks.
Year 2 Enquiry based learning
Autumn Term 1 Why did London have to be re-built in 1666?
Autumn Term 2 How do the seasons affect our wildlife?
Spring Term 1 What makes Britain Great?
Spring Term 2 Are humans the most harmful species on Earth?
How to support your child at home
1. Read for 5-10 minutes a day
2. Encourage children to use phoneme knowledge to sound out words they find difficult
3. Ask children understanding questions about their text-who is the main character? What is the setting? Why did that character choose to do that and what were the consequences?
Click here for comprehension questions to use when reading with your child!
1. Make writing purposeful-why have they been asked to write? What should the outcome be of that piece of writing?
2. Encourage the use of joining lines. Children should be attempting to start letters using joining lines in Year 2.
3. Encourage the use of basic punctuation-capital letters, full stops, finger spaces etc
1. Play maths games such as timetable questions, mental math addition and subtraction, doubles and halves up to 10
2. Use maths in every day life-shopping, finding change, counting out things for tea time, shape spotting around the house etc MATHS IS EVERYWHERE!
3. Keep up basic number fact work-numbers bonds to 5, 10 and 20. 2, 3, 5 and 10x tables.
Spelling, punctuation and grammar
1. Encourage children to write spellings down, look at them, cover them, say them, write them.2. Find interesting ways to remember exception words eg. because-big elephants can always understand small elephants
3. Re-cap use of nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs...what are they? Can you think of examples of when to use them?
1. Encourage children to spot familiar sounds in words to help them read at pace
2. Re-cap unfamiliar sounds regularly and quickly
3. Find alternative spellings for the same sound...ai/ay/a-e or oi/oy