Welcome to Year 6 Remarkable Rhinos and Wonderful Wombats
Year 6 Latest News
- Welcome back! We are super excited to be welcoming all the new children in to year 6 this year and can't wait to get started.
- Please remember to return your home - school diaries signed with all the usual start of term letters.
- Please ensure PE kit is in school every day!
The Year 6 Team
Our teachers are Mrs Carpenter, Mrs Fryatt and Mrs Hickton;
Our Teaching Assistants are Mrs. Younger, Miss Richardson, Mr Clemerson and Mrs Cope.
Our Learning Mentor is Miss. Anderson.
Our other teacher, Mrs Laycock, is currently away on maternity leave.
Our main topics this year are:
Autumn 1- World War 2, 'Blitzed' by Robert Swindells and history based on WW2- with our trip to Eden Camp
Autumn 2- 'Codename Celine' by Jim Eldridge, Holocaust Centre trip in November
Spring 1 - The Landlady by Roald Dahl, The Boy in the Tower by Polly Ho-Yen
Spring 2 - Modern War, 'Shadow' by Michael Morpurgo
Summer 1 - SATs revision and Science
Summer 2- 'Kensuke's Kingdom' by Michael Morpurgo
If possible, please ensure your child doesn't read these texts before we have studied them, as this may ruin their enjoyment!
In year six good behaviour and being role models for the rest of the school is extremely important. As a class, we have created our own charter which all the children have signed to say they agree to.
Please click on the link below to see our charters.
SATs 2019- The children are expected to sit their SATS in the week beginning 13th May 2019
|Monday 13th May 2019||SPAG- spelling, punctuation and grammar paper|
|Tuesday 14th May 2019||Reading Tests|
|Wednesday 15th May 2019||Maths paper 1 and maths paper 2|
|Thursday 16th May 2019||Maths Paper 3|
Please note that throughout the year we have to collect evidence to inform our teacher assessments for writing, maths, reading and science.
This half term, after-school booster sessions will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15pm to 4pm.
All of the adults are boostering the children on SPAG, Reading and Mathematics.
'Flexi-boosters' also take place on a daily basis during school time in afternoons to assist the children in their learning. Children are also boostered in assembly times and some children are invited for booster in a morning from 8:30am.
We must stress the importance of completing ALL the homework we ask your child to complete.
1. All children should read daily. Even if your child is a confident reader, they should be reading independently to encourage a love of books and a greater understanding of the written word. Children should record their daily reading in their reading record. There are five spaces in the book for each week. If children are not reading regularly then they will be asked to attend a reading catch up session one playtime a week.
2. All children will receive weekly spellings. These will be usually be set on a Friday and tested on a Thursday and are linked to past spellings for the SATs and spelling patterns for year six. This is now an important part of the new spelling, punctuation and grammar test (SPAG) (worth 20 marks out of 70 in the test). All children will be given 20 spellings each week as they will be given 20 in the test in May.
3. Each Friday, the children will receive a piece of literacy and numeracy homework, which will be due to be handed in on the following Wednesday. Any children who do not complete the homework on time will do so during computer club on Thursday lunchtime.
Physical Education (PE)
Rhinos and Wombats will be doing PE on Thursday afternoons each week with Mrs Aspinall.
At all times your child will need an indoor and outdoor PE kit in school.
Indoor PE kit is a white T-shirt, dark shorts (black or navy blue) and trainers or plimsolls.
Outdoor PE kit is a white T-shirt, dark jogging bottoms (black or navy blue), dark sweatshirt and trainers. Jewellery must not be worn on PE days.
If your child can not take part in PE for medical reasons a letter should be sent to Mrs Aspinall.
Also on Thursdays your child will be taught a one hour session on the Holocaust by Mrs Younger. This is extremely important as it links to the trips we are going on in the Autumn term.
Below is a list of websites to help your child in preparation for their SAT's
Please note although web pages have been checked for accuracy we can not be responsible for the content.