Welcome to Year 5 Brilliant Badgers and Cheeky Chipmunks
The Year 5 Team
In Cheeky Chipmunks, our teacher is Miss Westley and in Brilliant Badgers, our teacher is Mr Jackson.
The super Year 5 teaching assistants are:
Miss Pearson, Mrs Wyatt and Miss Crampton
During the Summer Term, we will also have Mrs Warren (SCITT Student) with us, she will be teaching some lessons and will be helping us in both classes! She is a fantastic teacher and hopefully you will all get to meet her within the next term!
Year 5 Latest News
- In English, we will be focusing on Space and completing pieces of writing based on the topic.
- In Guided Reading, we will be finishing off our Spring book, Holes by Louis Sachar, and then focusing on Non-Fiction Space texts and their layout.
- In Maths, we will be focusing on decimals after we have finished our fractions topic, if you need any help with supporting your child with this, please ask your child's class teacher.
- We will be visiting The Space Centre on the 18th June, as part of our Space Science topic this term. Keep an eye out for letters which will be going out soon!
- We will also be rehearsing and performing our Year 5 show - 'We're all going on a Summer Holiday!' We will be performing the show to parents on the NEW DATE Friday 14th June at 1:30pm. We have got a Polling Day on Thursday 23rd May, so the show had to be reorganised as school has to close! Not long to go now so please help your child learn their lines and get prepared with costumes - if you need any help, please see your class teacher. Please do not bring in costumes until the week commencing 10th June, thank you.
- We now have Times Table Rockstars and each child has their own log in. Please encourage your child to complete this daily as it will help improve the recall of their times tables which is incredibly important in everyday Maths. Keep your eyes peeled for any new battles that may be set for your child to complete.
Here is our latest newsletter (Summer Term)
Autumn 1: Based on Ancient Greece with text 'Theseus and the Minotaur'
Autumn 2: Based on text 'The Highwayman'
Spring 1: Based on our local area 'Kirkby-in-Ashfield'
Spring 2: Based on Mining (including a visitor)
Summer 1: Based on Space with Non-Fiction texts
Summer 2: Based on Space (with a trip to the Space Centre)
In Year 5, excellent behaviour and being role models for the rest of the school is extremely important and as a class we have created our own charters which all the children have signed to say they agree to.
Please click on the link below to see our charters:
Helping your child with their learning
To help with your child's learning at home, we have created and attached a guide to give you some support. If you require any more advice, then please don't hesitate to ask a member of the Year 5 team.
Please click the links below:
Homework and activities to complete at home
In Year 5, we are keen for the children to practice the skills and learning objectives that they cover in school and we will expect them to complete:
1 piece of literacy homework every 2 weeks - this will be a task that the children will choose from a 'menu' of different writing activities linked to our topic!
There may be opportunities for some arty work to go with the writing, too! We would like this homework to be handed in within 2 weeks of been set.
The deadlines for the half term are always given at the bottom of the menu and are always on a Monday.
1 piece of maths homework every week - this will be linked to the learning that they are about to cover. This will always be given on a Wednesday and the children will need to give it in the following Wednesday.
If children fail to complete either of the homeworks in the alloted time, they will be required to stay in and complete this during break times or lunchtimes. Children are encouraged to seek help if they need to from their class teacher.
Children will have a list of 10 spellings they must learn where they will be tested on a Friday. These will practice the year 5 spelling rules set out in the National Curriculum. Please help and encourage your child to learn their spellings as this is so important for their writing!
Children will also be tested on the Year 3, 4 and 5 spellings words from the National Curriculum word bank once every half term. Children will be sent home their scores and which words they got correct and incorrect. Please ensure your child is always practising these words too, so as they can improve their scores each half term!
FAB 4 Reading
Please continue to complete your child's FAB 4 Reading Record in their Home-School Diary. Children are expected to complete at least 4 reads every week. Children who complete all 4 reads and have their reading record signed every week will benefit from the half termly FAB 4 reading treat, chosen by our Greenwood Members of Parliament.
If your child forgets their Home-School Diary, they do not get a stamp for that week. It is their responsibility to bring it in on time. If your child is off with an illness, then they can give it to their class teacher when they are next at school to receive a stamp for that week.
This half term most of the Year 5 after school boosters will take place on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15pm - 4pm. Please collect your child from the Year 5 classrooms and try to ensure your child attends all boosters they are invited to as this is essential for their progress throughout Year 5.
Children also attend boosters throughout the school day to make sure they are on target and meet the learning objectives set during lessons.
Booster groups may change at the start of every half term.
Physical Education (PE)
Chipmunks and Badgers will be doing PE on a Wednesday afternoon each week with Mrs Aspinall. We will also be taking part in dance lessons on a Friday morning.
At all times your child will need an indoor and outdoor PE kit in school.
Indoor PE kit is a white T-shirt, dark shorts (black or navy blue) and trainers or plimsolls.
Outdoor PE kit is a white T-shirt, dark jogging bottoms (black or navy blue), dark sweatshirt and trainers. Jewellery must not be worn on PE days.
If your child can not take part in PE for medical reasons, a letter should be sent to Mrs Aspinall or class teachers.
All Year 5 children have the opportunity to take part in lessons based on how to play the ukulele on a Tuesday afternoon with a specialist music teacher! School do provide ukuleles for your child, however if your child wishes to bring their own ukulele in too, that is absolutely fine! Towards the end of Year 5, the children will put on a ukulele concert for some of KS2, parents are also invited to attend to see how much your child has progressed!